Wednesday, February 15, 2012

I suck: the valentines day edition

remember that time that DJ and I were having a baby and trying to save money... 
I do! 
I'm currently living it. 

to pinch a few extra pennies DJ and I decided we would be doing a frill-free valentines day this year.. aka no gifts, no nada - just a moderate dinner out [which we're doing tonight to not deal with the crowds]. so I was going to be sneaky and make him a little gift but I said something to him about needed to get a few little supplies and he goes into the whole "we're trying to save money, no gifts, I'm not getting you anything, no no no..." speech so I back down.

...and I do precisely that. 
nothing.

so let's rewind to yesterday... I get in the car and my love has a dozen beautiful red roses sitting on the passenger seat for me, which he then quickly follows up with a sweet card, a box of chocolates and [one of my all-time favorite things in the whole wide world] cotton candy.

I then have a slight freakout saying thank you and showering him with kisses and then I say "but we weren't supposed to do gifts or anything this year..." his response, something along the lines of - "well, I knew you weren't going to listen and that you'd do something so I did too"  I stare blankly and respond "no, I didnt!?"

the one time I listen. of course, he laughs it off and says that valentines day is really all about women and he doesn't care but I feel like a big ole ahole. I didn't even have a card for him [in my defense we're supposed to be celebrating tonight].

I know it wasn't a big deal, it was just such a sweet sentiment and I really was caught off-guard. who knew $20 at the grocery store could get a man so much street cred.

so there you have it. my valentines day failure...

and here is his sweet valentines day success...
I'm a lucky girl...
so excited to have a nice relaxing Italian dinner out [yay carbs] with my love tonight.... 
...and now the clock is ticking - what can I buy/make him in the next 5 hours?! 
....wish me luck! 

7 comments:

Curly Girl Confessions said...

Do some printables like love coupons or something and a handwritten sweet note. That was so sweet of him to shower you with VDay love! :)

Stephanie said...

I made chocolate-covered strawberries and picked up a card and balloon while at the grocery store. The BF LOVED the strawberries and ate about 10 of them after our take-out dinner last night! He had no idea how easy something like that is (esp when you buy the microwavable Dulci Frutta chocolate from the produce section...) and just assume a lot of time went into it. He was so impressed!

Unknown said...

haha OH NO!!! That has happened to me. We weren't going to do anything for our dating anniversary a couple years ago and he surprised me with a pearl freaking necklace. yeah...I felt like a turd lol. Good luck coming up with something =)

Rachel said...

This happened to me kind of too! My husband told me he wanted a new mountain bike for his birthday so I was going to let him pick it out and everything. Then his birthday comes around and he says "I dont want a new bike anymore" and I had NOTHING to give him because he said he wanted the dang bike! (this happened 2 years in a row btw!) This year I'm just going to buy him an ipad3 when it comes out and be done with it!

Nikki said...

mmm...Subway gift cards? Or bake him something.

Plus you're carrying his child...he should give you the whole world.

Maria said...

Ah! I would feel be so upset/delighted/giddy/surprised! I am late with the suggestions but anything Gator, or edible, or fun (concert tickets) would be really great. Good luck.

LWLH said...

The hubs did the same thing to me...thanks for Rite Aid coming to the rescue :)

Follow this blog with bloglovin

Follow on Bloglovin

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails