Monday, December 5, 2011

preggo reading....

yup. pregnancy books have taken over my nightstand for the past three months. I can't lie, I got pretty wrapped up in this whole "being pregnant" thing and started reading the Mayo Clinic book when we first started trying to conceive and then bought the other another one the day we found out we were pregnant [is it annoying that I say "we are pregnant" - clearly, I'm pregnant - but I feel like DJ gets to share in this joy by way of putting up with my hormonal mood-swings, just a random side-thought]. 

so here are the books that I've read:

[in case you were wondering - the Mayo Clinic Guide to a Healthy Pregnancy is by far my favorite, 
though The Girlfriends' Guide to Pregnancy is quite amusing]

[also, not pictured because it's in the car is Bring Back Beatrice! our baby name book, we keep it in the car mostly so we can discuss names while we're commuting - lame, I know but you have to admit, it's kinda cute]. I also just borrowed another pregnancy book What to Eat When You're Expecting from another ZTA Advisor [speaking of which, that's how I spent my Saturday morning at EC board transitions and meeting the fabulous ZTA EC member that I'll be advising this year, I'm so excited to be a ZTA advisor and think it's going to be such a great and rewarding experience.  Also, the meeting was at another advisor's house who just had a baby this past spring and she gave me a big tub full of maternity clothes to borrow... AMAZING. Seriously, I just my maternity wardrobe just grew leaps and bounds and it's all such cute stuff!]. anyways, back to the books...  

SO....
any how-the-hell-do-I-take-care-of-a-baby 
book recommendations for me?
[because clearly I'm still not quite sure what to do with it when I get it home....]

12 comments:

Kattrina said...

Best book out there is Happiest Baby on the Block by Dr. Harvey Karp. Worked like a miracle for my sister's two kids! It's short and also comes in a DVD.

melissa said...

Okay, I hate giving unsolicited parenting advice but since you asked...MOMS ON CALL. Best thing ever. They have a book, but I did the internet video. Best $29.95 I have EVER spent. It's mostly about scheduling and sleeping but there are some really helpful tips for bathing, infant care, etc.

Blaire has slept through the night (I'm talking 11 hours of sleep here) since she was 5 weeks old and it's all because of Moms on Call. I can't recommend it enough. And, they're located out of Atlanta so I think they offer local, in home services if you needed them.

(I swear they don't pay me to advertise for them. I'm just so freaking thankful for all the sleep I get!)

Nikki said...

Well since I'm not pregnant...but I did read Belly Laughs by Jenny what's her name when my Sister was pregnant. Pretty funny!

whitney said...

hm since i am not pregnant. and my kiddos are all grown up....ha kidding.

all i can offer here is a name suggestion...whitney.

pretty solid choice.

discuss with dj. he'd agree i bet.

Emily said...

My nightstand looks the same way! Once you decide to start figuring out what products you want to buy, I recommend 'Baby Bargains'! I also love the Mayo Clinic book - I got it free through my insurance!
There is also a pregnancy week by week book that I've heard good things about but I haven't read it myself..

Katie said...

Aww, that is such a cute idea of having the baby name book in the car =) I'm sorry that I have no recommendations for you but I'll have to keep a secret list for myself when we are pregnant!

Sara Strand said...

I stuck with "What To Expect: The First Year" for about 3 months and decided just to wing it. I was so anxious trying to follow the book and be knowledgeable, but yeah. It was too stressful and that combined with not getting the knack of breast feeding kicked my post partum into high gear. So I say- skip the books. Find a really great "Mommy & Me" class in your area- you'll learn way more from that and feel more confident about your role as a mom than reading a book. :)

LWLH said...

I read Belly Laughs, and it is a fun easy read.

Wiz said...

Ha, its so funny the difference between one and two. I read EVERYTHING I could get my hands on. A girlfriends guide to pregnancy was my favorite. With number two, I didnt read anything except the occasional internet search. As for when they get here, you wont have much time to read. I liked to check baby center online and also bought the What to Expect book for the first year just for reference purposes! No book can really tell you how to do it all; you just have to figure it out and you will!

Maria said...

So I'm only saying this because this book is awesome and spoke Volumes to me (pun intended) when I read it. It's called First Time Mom by Dr. Kevin Leman. My mom gave it to me and I waited too long to read it but have read it again since and recommend it to everyone. It has great, practical tips for you and a chapter for the hubby, too. Let me know if you read it, you won't regret it.

Lauren said...

Everything Melissa said! I started Moms On Call after hearing about it from her, and within days he was sleeping through the night!

Anonymous said...

Here are some ideas i experinced myself and in addition
read at other blogs. He listened to artists like Boards of Canada, and Daft Punk, and was inspired by what they did.

She wrote songs for other musical groups, for instance The Pussycat Dolls,
New Kids on the Block and for Britney Spears.

My page :: Daft Punk – Random Access Memories (2013) download -torrent

Follow this blog with bloglovin

Follow on Bloglovin

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails