a lot of the instructions that I found on how to make them just called for a white cake box mix but I was too lazy to go to the store and buy a box - and I wanted to make them from scratch so I found a white cake recipe --
looks like fun, huh?
here's how you make them it's super easy!
1 cup white sugar1/2 cup butter
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
1 3/4 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 cup milk
Gel food coloring
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Grease and flour a 9x9 inch pan or line a muffin pan with paper liners.
2. In a medium bowl, cream together the sugar and butter. Beat in the eggs, one at a time, then stir in the vanilla. Combine flour and baking powder, add to the creamed mixture and mix well. Finally stir in the milk until batter is smooth.
3. Divide batter into six small bowls (1-2 tablespoons each)
4. Add gel food coloring to batter (purple, blue, green, yellow, orange, red/pink) - I did pink instead of red just in this batch.
5. Line 16 muffin pan wells with baking cups. Evenly distribute the purple batter among the cups, then the blue, and so on, following the order shown. As you go, gently spread each layer of batter with the back of a spoon to cover the color underneath.
6. Bake 20 to 25 minutes. Cake is done when it springs back to the touch and a toothpick comes out clean.
7. Frost and sprinkle away after cooled!
[white cupcake recipe adapted from allrecipes]
I definitely say go for the gel food coloring if you're going to make them, I've never seen batter or cake come out as vivid as this did and I'm excited to make a rainbow cake next and play around more with the gel food colorings!
In other news, it's gross outside and I'm currently in sweatpants, on the couch, eating fruit, drinking tea and watching 16 and Pregnant - I don't have plans to do anything else today but be lazy and watch trash tv - sloth day at its best. Vacation is good. :)