I love that last week I was talking about embracing my growing body and how I was happy with how I looked and was just going with my weight gain because it was for a greater good... well, that was all true, until this happened...
asshat: how far along are you? 6 months?
me: I'm... umm... [trying to calculate weeks into months, oh screw it] 21 weeks.
asshat: oh wow, I thought you were at least 6 months, you're big, that's going to be one big baby! at least 8lbs!
me: hah. ok. [drinks tea and walks back to office].
keep in mind. this is a person I've met once or twice before and know in a professional setting. really? why do you think it's appropriate to tell me how big I am? also, I did the math - I'm five months, 21 weeks isn't that far off from 6 months. It was just... irritating for the lack of a better word.
I know. I'm not the first pregnant woman this has happened to and I won't be the last. Hell, I know this won't be the last time this happens to me during my pregnancy but it was one of the first times I have experienced the "pregnancy diarrhea of the mouth" - you know that phenomenon where people think they can just say whatever they want to a pregnant woman and it's okay/funny/cute, i.e.:
- "you're about to pop! haha!"
- "wow, you're HUGE!"
- "are you sure it's not twins?!"
- or even the opposite, when people try and tell you you're too small or your due date must be wrong or you're not eating enough. [clearly, this is not going to happen to me as
my babyass is apparently HUGE].
am I being touchy? maybe. moody? maybe. I could be too sensitive but I just think it's crazy - people would never dare say anything like that to someone who wasn't pregnant so why would people think that pregnancy gives them a free pass to be asshats.
In case you were wondering, here is my list of things that I welcome anyone to say to me during my pregnancy:
- You look beautiful! [.../great/fantastic/amazing - any of those adjectives will do, feel free. really.]
- "Those pants/that dress/that skirt make your ass look fantastic."
- "You are the most beautiful pregnant woman that has ever lived. REALLY. You are."
- "Wow, your belly sure does look smart - your daughter is going to be a genius." [random, but acceptable]
anyways, off my soapbox. here are this week's stats:
- 21/40 but apparently look 26. okay, the horse is dead. I've beaten it. I know.
- baby j is the size of a carrot and measures 10.5 inches long and weighs around 12.2 ounces! she can also hear my voice clearly now, which is great because it will be the voice of reason in her life for the next twenty plus years [I think I feel her rolling her eyes at me already].
- gender: still a girl, still has a name. :)
- I can definitely feel her a LOT more this week! before I could mostly feel her when I was laying down about to go to bed and really still, not there are constant flutters and little jolts. I wouldn't say I feel full-fledged kicks yet [more like taps] but definitely so much more action going on in there. I feel her all throughout the day and I LOVE IT.
- we get to see sweet baby j on monday, I'm so excited! since we had the elective ultrasound done at 19 weeks we pushed the appt back with our doctor. The ultrasound tech is only at our location on Mondays and they were closed the day after Christmas and the day after New Years Day so the earliest we could get in is 1/9 - so I'm excited to see her when she's 22 weeks and we can apparently see a lot more of how she's developing.
- number of milk steamers I've drank: 5. obsessed.
- number of new iPhones bought: ONE! yay. I got myself an early birthday present, a new white 4s I'm going to need a better on-the-go camera to take pictures of our sweet girl so this was a clear win-win. I also sold my old iPhone on gazelle for $97, score!
- number of asshats that inadvertently called me fat: 1. asshat.
...not too many pictures this week [as I already shared pictures from NYE/our anniversary]...
my beautiful roses from DJ are blooming | my pretty new iPhone & kate spade case! | oliver being ridiculously cute wrapping himself up in a blanket | snack of choice this week, motts natural applesauce!
lots of laying in bed watching TV on the iPad this week | DJ's new microphone, isn't it pretty?! | someone stole my pellegrino! | florida ruby red = best grapefruits EVER.
that's about it. I can't help but smile when I think about our sweet baby girl - it's just such a fun adventure to go on [especially now that I'm in the honeymoon trimester and feeling great]. DJ and I are off to babies-r-us this Sunday to look at infant carriers/strollers, etc.
Any suggestions? [or warnings of things to stay away from]
I'm open to ALL advice!